95th Ave and Avery St (Tualatin Elementary School)
Based on community feedback and the project team’s analysis, this project will improve safety and access in the area around Tualatin Elementary School. Improvements will include installing crosswalks, upgrading intersections, providing better signage and traffic control measures along 95th Avenue, Avery Street and Sagert Street.
Additionally, more outreach is underway to determine additional improvements to be included to enhance pedestrian safety along 93rd Avenue.
Drivers at this intersection who are waiting to turn right frequently roll forward and encroach into the crosswalk. A “No Turn on Red” sign helps protect people who are using the crosswalk.
Based on community feedback the City is considering implementing Driver Feedback Signs or Speed Humps on 93rd. Studies are currently underway to determine which improvement options will best improve pedestrian safety in the neighborhood.
The project will improve traffic flow with better signage and traffic control measures for drivers. More parking options will reduce cars blocking through traffic.
What We Heard
95th Ave and Avery St Community Survey Results
According to public input* the biggest safety concerns in the project area:
- Pedestrian safety
- Sidewalk conditions
- Lack of crosswalks/Non-compliant vehicle stops
*NTSP Suggestions, PTA meeting, and comments from Contact list
According to the survey the biggest safety concerns in the project area:
- People speeding in vehicles (cars, trucks) (67%)
- Traffic during school pick-up and drop-off times (63%)
- Too many large trucks travelling through area (54%)
- People not stopping for pedestrians in marked or unmarked crosswalks (52%)
93rd Ave Community Survey Results
The most preferred pedestrian safety and access improvement option(s) to use along 93rd Avenue:
- Fill sidewalk gaps (79%)
- Install speed humps (25%)
- Install a driver feedback sign (11%)
- Cut through traffic (4%)
Top issues/concerns indentified:
- Parking issues/speeding isssues
- Intersection of 93rd and Sagert
- Unsafe for children/pedestrians
- Cut through traffic
Top improvement requested:
- Improve sidewalks
- Improve sight lines
- Add speed humps